Thursday, November 24, 2005

Ellis Island


Now, I am not by nature a raving pro- American.
However, it struck me today...
can you or I even imagine arriving in New York harbor circa 1917 from famine stricken Ireland, or 1980's from war torn Bosnia?
Seeing, for the first time in all her glory the hallowed Lady Liberty, her torch aloft
for you FOR YOU! for the first time?
The culmination of all your dreams...
here!
here!
you are finally here in AMERICA!

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

How must that face of hope look on each silent émigré, the awesomeness of a new life
a chance, my chance, my turn, our turn, our children's turn upwelling in each soul?

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she with silent lips. "
Give me your tired, your poor your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free...

And we are…or we have been. That is what makes this country great. That is when I can feel pride at who we are. That we can become what we wish, hope, dream Believe!

That is what I am most thankful for today.

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

For at times , I am ashamed of our greed, our capitalist bad boy adolescence body politic.
But I can say that today. Out loud. To anybody.

And still live and breathe to see another day.


-the new colossus/ by poet emma lazarus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home